Admittedly this is pure linkbait, but this Harvard Business Review article by Daniel Guilati does it well. According to his research, the top five career regrets are (from the most common down):
- I wish I hadn’t taken the job for the money.
- I wish I had quit earlier.
- I wish I had the confidence to start my own business.
- I wish I had used my time at school more productively.
- I wish I had acted on my career hunches.
/via Barking Up The Wrong Tree, who have also compiled the most common regrets of the dying, and stats on whether we’re more likely to regret things we did or didn’t do (the answer is didn’t do, with a 75/25 split, though you are likely to regret things you purchased).